Sunday, October 03, 2010

Help Stop NF2 in Africa

Hello all!!! It has been a long time since my last post. I have been busy all summer training for the biggest challenge of my life yet which is to attempt a summit climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa - 19340 feet!

We have a great team of 10 climbers plus our guide with intentions to summit on 10-10-10. The mission is to inspire the world by overcoming the challenges NF2 presents me to follow my dreams and in by doing so bring awareness of the disorder Neurofibromatosis through the movie a Seattle producer is making of our adventure.

So here we are! It is really happening! It was on our honeymoon 10 years ago in October 2000 when I first conceived of such an endeavor with the intention to bring awareness of my disorder NF2 to which we nor family and friends had ever heard of. Back then I was quite normal aside from a little hearing loss. Now however, is quite a different story as my vestibular system is shot - meaning no balance and my vision impaired which I depend on for keeping my stability. Therefore, to be here now is incredibly meaningful.
It is miraculous actually and I will be the first NF2 patient - and perhaps first person living with brain tumors to attempt this.

OK. We climb tomorrow and have a gear meeting shortly that I need to prepare for. I'll try to write again later today before we leave on the trek for the next week.

Please keep the safety of the team in your prayers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See it and be it!!! Enjoy every moment, Beck. Sending hugs, strength and smiles, Jamie