Sunday, September 04, 2005

We're Ba...ck!

We got back Thursday evening but I have not had a chance to really write. In the midst of trying to unpack, put things away, cook some healthy menus, and clean the laundry, I have gotten involved in catching up on my email and reading and commenting on other blogs.

I am really behind on blogging. I need a data recorder like Captain Picard...one that I can plug into a computer and will type for me. I only write a tiny fraction of what I actually think about. By the time I get around to actually writing, there are so many things that have happened and a plethora of new thoughts the have entered my mind.

Therefore, until Harley downloads some of the photos to my computer I will just tell you about the highlight of our trip which was on the last day.

Our journey on Vancouver Island Brittish Columbia ended at the wonderful town of Nanaimo on the east side of the island. We arrived there on Wednesday and not only found this town picturesque but also more reasonably priced than the other places we had visited on the island. In addition, there are SEVERAL activities to do there!

Wednesday evening we enjoyed a nice walk along the waterfront and harbor which was fantastic for someone with balance issues. The trail is paved and flat so it can accommodate bikers, rollerbladers, wheelchairs, walkers, and dogs on a leash. Boats and seals as well as the historic part of town can be admired from this trail.

On Thursday morning we rented a double kayak from "The Kayak Shack" at the north end of the town and harbor (near Departure Bay and across from Newcastle Island). I was excited but a little nervous to reveal my issue. I try to not let it show. Deafness is one thing but I really have a fear of showing my imbalance when it involves a sport.

When it was time to put the boat in I had no choice.Walking down to the water and climbing into the boat I could manage if it was calm and the rocks were not too slippery. However, carrying the boat down to the water over the uneven terrain and rocks was another. It probably was only 15-20 feet but I knew myself and I did not want to end up dropping the boat and damaging it or falling over and seriously damaging myself.

When the lady motioned for us to carry the boat down I thought to myself in a panic "God I can no longer play this game of pretend! Crap! What do I do? Do I swallow my pride and admit my weakness thus asking for help or make an ass of myself and possibly ruin their boat?"

How does one adequately and tactfully tell someone what is going on or ask for help? This has happened to me on at least 3 other occasions that I can recall. One time, when I was at my weakest, I realized I was not going to be able to lift some soil into my truck at Home Depot. Never in my life has that ever happened. I mean I look fine, young, and strong but alas I knew from trying to slide the bags on the cart that I was never going to be able to lift them the 4-5 feet into the truck bed. Thus, sheepishly and somewhat embarassed I had to ask at the register for some help lifting them. What made it worse is that it was a woman who put the bags in the truck for me.

So returning to the kayaking, in a moment of desperation I blurted out "Ah, this may seem kind of silly but could you please put the boat in the water for me? I am recovering from a brain tumor and my balance is off right now." She was very nice about it and complied and assisted me when we returned.

Now to the adventure! It was phenonmenal! We felt as though we were on a National Geographic Expedition! In the kayak the oscillopsia wasn't too bad (oh yeah you don't know about that yet so sometime I will write a post about the meaning of the term). The water was very clear up there but probably poor visibility for the area due to the warmth of the water and plankton right now. To give you an idea, I could see about 15 feet down into the water and spotted several jellyfish and sea stars. In addition, it was low tide so we saw tons of red, purple, pink and orange sea stars clinging to the rocks with the sea lettuce, rock weed, and other algae (seaweed).

We paddled along the northern tip of Newcastle Island where we spotted several raccoons out for a shellfish harvest during the low tide. Many of them ran to hide among the large rock formations but a mother and her two young kept hunting along the shore, allowing us to view them as we floated by.

The plan was to paddle around Newcastle Island and go swimming on one of the sandy beaches but we were too enticed to kayak more north d toward some distant rock outcroppings in search of harbor seals. When we finally made it to the rock outcroppings I thought it was going to be a bust but Harley heard one and saw it sitting on a rock. He pointed it out to me just before it decided to go for a dip.

That was pretty cool but nothing compared to when we made it around the rock outcropping. First we saw a couple and then there was a huge herd playing in the water as if it were a community seal beach! There were probably around 50 seals! We kept our distance as required by law but they swam out and monitored us on our boat at a 20-40 foot distance. They were literally all around us and were swimming in the same direction that our boat was moving.

We drifted between the outcroppings and noticed a lone rock with beige, white, and gray humps on it. As we floated by this isle we discovered the rock was for the seal pups and a couple of adult seals kept watch of us in the water so that we did not pose a threat. For some reason there was one lowly pup left alone on another rock and we floated unknowingly within 15 feet of him.

The seals continued to swim with us until it was clear we were heading too far from the comfort of their rocks. We passed by a rock full of cormorants and other birds. Some of them took off like jets across the water (similiar in flight to canadian geese).

Mother nature called so we continued to head north up the main shore in search of a safe pullout. When we checked the time we had to head back as we had less than an hour to return the boat and catch the ferry back to the mainland.

The water was rough in the section back towards Departure Bay. What a ride! You have to head straight into the wave because if you hit a wave from the side the boat may tip. Gosh this was such a rush! The view and perspective from the front of the boat is intense! Again the oscillopsia did not bother me because my focus and concentration were on the front of the boat, the wave ahead, and paddling like the dickens!

As we paddled our hearts out a sailboat cruised by with full wind in its sails and leaning at its side. Basically they were having a good ride too as I am sure they had a few knots going!

The ferry from Horseshoe Bay on the mainland was in the distance so we had to hurry up to try to beat it while crossing the small channel. On our way in we saw a woman attending a zodiac for a slew of divers down under and we continued to see the float plains coming in and out.

Nanaimo made quite an impression on us so we will be back for more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic story! I felt like I was in the kayak with you. Awesome!!!

Rebecca said...

Jamie it was awesome! I wish you could have been in the kayak too. If you ever have the chance, do it! It is of course more enthralling when you get to see such a plethora of wildlife!