Thursday, September 07, 2006

The "Pole" (me and my "sherlock" staff)



Photos taken by Harley Dufek
Top left is of me in July 2006 at Fort Worden State Beach in Port Townsend, WA. Top right is of me and two locals at a Jamaican craft market in Ochos Rios Jamaica in June 2006. Bottom right is of me on Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains National Park in Washington in July 2006.

Interesting links I found:

Fashionable walking sticks and walking canes
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/?engine=adwords!2920&keyword=%28walking+canes%29&match_type=content&gclid=CNyexvKVnIcCFQs3GAod5VUMsA

Free Leki Pole Offer
http://www.leisure-offer.com/rd_p?p=113082&t=1126&c=364035&gift=13145&a=13145-komperdell%20trekking%20pole

Trekking Poles
http://www.truelocal.com/topicsearch.aspx?q=trekking%20poles

Walking Poles and Mobility Aids (one of the first photos is the walker with wheels I want to try out to see if I can use to rollerblade again)
http://www.activeforever.com/departments.asp?Path=T17,0005&source=google-adwords

Here is another version (cheaper one) of a walker with wheels that I would like to try out
http://www.spinlife.com/category.cfm?categoryID=73&adv=goto&tar=walking%20canesv2&cm_mmc=Yahoo%20CM-_-Walking%20Aids-_-Walking%20Aids%20Page%20-%20standard%20keyword-_-cane%20walking&OVRAW=walking%20canes&OVKEY=cane%20walking&OVMTC=standard

If you want to buy a staff/hiking pole like mine, click the lighthouse link in the post title. The staff is made by the Audobon Society and is called the "Tracks" sherlock hiking pole. Harley bought mine at REI a few years ago as a birthday present but I cannot find it on their website. We bought a matching one at REI a year ago so both Harley and I can have one or he can use them both as hiking poles when I use my other pair.

The top of the sherlock staff can also be unscrewed and an SLR camera can be mounted on the top as a "on the go convenient tripod" for outdoor photography while on the trail. Currently the pole/staff is being sold on ebay through Mickie's Place Outdoor Gear for $49.99.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I was thinking of getting my sister a hiking staff for Christmas (she's been having chronic, un-diagnosable leg tremors, and actually hurt her foot pretty bad while hiking in the U.P. last month). So this is helpful!

Rebecca said...

Wow! Why is she having leg tremors? Has she gone in to see a doctor (like a neurologist and had an MRI of the brain)?

I hurt my toe badly on a steep hike about a year and a half prior before SH_T! hit the fan. I was carrying a pack (not form fitting) and not wearing my good hiking boots with tread (Why I was not wearing my good boots I have no idea!). As a result I slipped going downhill on some loose gravel/dirt and bent my toe back. It hurt for a long time and I was afraid I broke it!

After that I never wore shoes with lame tread for hiking except when I was a month out of treatment wearing some old tennis shoes and decided to go off a flat trail down a hill to access the river. (The result.......I slid down the steep embankment and sprained my dang ankle!)

The hiking poles are wonderful! I actually got mine a year prior to losing my balance and had no idea how badly I was going to need them. I wanted to get into some backpacking and serious mountain climbing so I wanted a lightweight set of poles for stability while wearing a pack.

It is funny, both Harley and my sister got me poles for my birthday in 2003. The next year and from then on I was in need of poles and a walking stick and use them extensively. I really did not see it coming so I am glad that they thought ahead for me. They make GREAT gifts!

LOL I have a "Gandalf" staff too that I collected down at the river when we first moved out here (to the rural area). It is for decoration though as it is just a piece of wood.

Check out the link for the Leki pole, REI outlet, and ebay for good deals. Also read up about them (weight, style, adjustability, and options) before you buy. ;+)