Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Happy Belated Day of the Dead!




It took me awhile to create my master piece. I did a great deal of thinking about it and wanted something which would be cheerful but also significant in some way. However, I am not particularly skilled with carving and I do not have the patience to carve something extravagant which would require a great deal of time. Therefore I wanted something simple, easy, but that would also leave me with a positive presence. While under pressure to get it done before the holiday had passed, I carved my pumpkin Halloween night actually.

While in Arizona we visited the Mesa Southwest Museum and on display was a fantastic explosion of cheer and color in their traveling Day of the Dead celebration (Dia de los Muertos) exhibit. http://www.cityofmesa.org/swmuseum/diadelosmuertos.asp

It was so beautiful and seeing the exhibit brought beauty to the concept of death. Understandably no picture taking was allowed for this one section out of respect. So from my memory the creation of my carving represents the impression of light heartedness and wonder the display bestowed upon me.

Unfortunately the top of my pumpkin was a little soft near the stem. While hammering some tools into it to create the eyes, I put a large crack in the top of the head that ran from the eye socket to the lid opening. Because the picture was taken in the dark you cannot see it. Within two days (on the 2nd of November) my pumpkin succumbed to its injuries and the spreading softness disease. The mouth was so wide that I when I came in from walking the dogs on the 2nd, the fate of my pumpkin was a collapsed face.

Oh well! At least it died happy, eh?

1 comment:

Steven said...

Heya becks!

We had hurricane Wilma come through south of us, and didn't know whether we were going to get hit or not. So, I only had 4 days to build everything! Luckily, my friend Rob (who helped me repair the storm damage last year when the tumors were making it so hard to carry things or keep my balance) helped me out.

Maybe I'll post more photos on my blog. I can't post images in comments, it seems :(