Thursday, April 20, 2006

HAPPY BELATED EASTER!

BAUK! BAUK! (that is supposed to be the sound of a kid in a chicken costume.....remember that commerical for some type of candy like m&ms or Cadbury eggs where that little boy is dressed in a chicken suit and says "Thanks Easter Bunny! Bauk! Bauk!) LOL anyway I always think of that during Easter.)

I hope you all had a nice holiday weekend. Harley was working but I did manage to have a nice weekend. When I walked the dogs at the park on Saturday it started pouring. However, when I drove down Ames Lake to the main highway (or is it a road?), the sun came bursting out and I was treated to a nice rainbow.

On Easter I did not color any eggs but I had a beautiful assortment of fake eggs that I hid around the house with little messages inside. Each message was a clue to where the next one would be hidden (leading up to Harley's basket of fudge eggs and a chocolate bunny that I bought at Saykllys candy store in Escanaba, MI) and most dealt with some aspect of our travels, wedding, and relationship together. Harley was so surprised! He was like a big kid! LOL It was so much fun to think of good hiding places and remember things about our journey together. We have been together for 11 years and this was the 5th Easter since we were married.

I must confess that my idea was not original. Back on Valentine's day of 1997, Harley made a scavenger hunt for me. He had written in calligraphy on lace paper hearts little poems and clues about our good times together. Each clue leaded me to where the next hiding space would be and finally lead me up to the big surprise which was a ruby and diamond promise ring.

It was the best scavenger hunt I ever had and the sweetest thing anyone had ever done. I will never forget it. While I could certainly not outdo that, I did want to do something fun and special.

Just because you get older does not mean you ever have to stop being a kid....young at heart!

Later after Harley had gone to work, the dogs and I went for our run'walk. I was focusing so much on my balance and running that I did not notice anything in the pond the trail. (when I run I cannot look at the scenery without losing balance or make out still images such as wildlife) The dogs tugged at the leash and I thought they wanted to sniff out something or relieve themselves. I turned to see what was going on (if there was a biker behind me; the dogs tug at the leash when there is a person behind me as I cannot hear). There was not anyone behind me so I tried to get them back on track but they tugged again.

This time I stopped and saw them looking out at the pond. They saw the Great Blue Herring that I am always looking for. I have not seen it in this spot for over a month! If it were not for my dogs, I would have totally missed it! I could not believe it! It was as if they knew it was something I wanted to see and they did not want me to keep going oblivious to the giant wonder standing there.

With the sweet scents of the cherry trees and the buds of spring, our trail experience was a great close to the day!

No comments: