Friday, April 21, 2006

Other things I want to talk about but don't have time right now.

There are some other things I want to post about but I am leaving to my parents home in Central Washington tomorrow.

  • My reason for my recent absence of posts the last week is that I have been working on my latest project. I will be participating in the Relay for Life event for the first time to raise awareness and support for the American Cancer Society. I have been trying to recruit people and running more often.
  • For me and others with NF2 or who may be going through some type of treatment for an illness, it is important to exercise everyday. The diseases or treatments can have a degenerative effect on the body. If I miss more than a day of walking, it becomes hard for me to maintain a sense of balance and I stumble more.
  • Leg cramps and riding on the train.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true about exercising and degenative diseases.

Also I find that if I inadvertadly skip a meal as in "forgot about it", and I tend to do that when busy) balance/coordination goes way off.

Its great that you can run. Wish I could.

Roberto

Rebecca said...

Yes, I have unfortunately lost a great deal of muscle. People tell me I am thin but I feel very flabby. I don't have the strength and stamina I once did. Sometimes it seems like the truck tailgate keeps getting heavier and heavier. It reminds me when I went through chemotherapy years ago and lifting the trunk of my car became a major ordeal (seemed like it went from 20 lbs to 300 lbs).

I am noticing a disturbance of sorts when I don't eat also. However, I just found out last week that my optic nerves are swelling again and had to restart the diamox. Today when I waited too long to eat dinner I started to get the shakes which I have not had in months. When I got in the door, I was stumbling all over the place.

The running this week was hard now that I restarted the medicine. I became extremely fatigued very quickly. Also, my balance and coordination seem really off.

I was running the most when I went off the medicine for a little over a month. I am still planning to run 3 miles in the relay but it will probably be challenging.

I am going to do it later in the day (about 6 or 7 pm) when I normally would be going for a run or walk and when I seem to have the most energy.

Also, I will be running on a track so it will be nice and flat and free of uneven terrain. Further, they light it at night so I will be doing my walking portion later at night with a hiking stick if I need it. That way I am not doing it all at once and hopefully my energy and coordination will be better.