Wednesday, April 12, 2006

MRI Day - April 10th, 2006

Monday it was time to go back in for another scan of the brain. Unlike some of the other MRIs I have had over the past 2 years, I really was not anxious or worrisome. Even though I take naps quite often during my scans, this MRI was quite comfortable. It was probably the best MRI experience I have had.

First I got there early and I did not even have to wait at all. Just as I opened my book and started to read, a woman came to tell me it was timed to get changed. After I changed I had just sat down to puruse a magazine and the radiology tech came to take me to the MRI machine! We started to venture down the wrong way and I inquired where he was taking me (I had my paperpad with so he could write). Due to the almost complete remodel the MRI machine is located in a new section.

When I entered the room, I was surprised to find a new sleek machine! The head rest was more form fitting with a comfy little cushion pad for my knoggin. Then when he put the other part of the head contraption on (sort of like a cage or helmet), I noticed it had a really cool mirror. With the new mirror I could totally see the window and the technicians running behind it and also my body! Before I could not see them until I was pulled out of the tube. There also seemed to be more ambient light in the entire room and space.

When I arrived I made sure to inform the front desk people about my tricky veins and the proper procedure to follow to insert the IV (use a very small butterfly needle, only the veins in the hand work, and to apply a hot compress to the hands to get the veins to come out). Last time I was poked 6 or 7 times before an IV was run! This time however, it only took one poke and I did not feel it much at all!

During the MRI I felt very relaxed and at peace. I did not quite fall asleep but I was in a very meditative state. Throughout the MRI I kept thinking positive thoughts that the treated tumor was now dead and done with. I also tried to focus on the other tumors and think of them not growing further and all these fantastic positive things I wanted to accomplish.

Before I knew it, I was pulled out into the brightness of the world as if being born. The light of the world was so strong that I could barely open my eyes at first!

Normally I get a packet of films to take with me to the doctors. With the new machine however, they are able to take more accurate scans. The technician told me that there were hundreds of scans and that they would put them on a CD. I still pleaded for a few film images so that I could review them with my radiologist next week. She usually does a measurement check with me present so that we can compare with the last films to double check if there was any new growth.

After my MRI, I picked up my friend from SCCC and we went to my favorite Teriyaki restaurant on Capital Hill. As usual, I ordered the Teriyaki Chicken breast with the cucumber salad. LOL It has sort of been tradition now since I was diagnosed in 1999. The old place (HMO) were I had my MRI scans taken is right across from the Teriyaki Madness. That is how I came to find it. I only ate there after my scans and it is one of two Teriyaki restaurtants that I eat at in Seattle (those who know me well, know that I am picky about my teriyaki).

Following lunch, we visited my one of my sanctuaries and other traditions on MRI day. Most often, (unless I visit the doctor in North Seattle immediately after the MRI) I go to the Volunteer Park Conservatory to reflect, pray, ponder life, and enjoy the beauitful nature that God has created. In the greenhouse, the flowers and plants are so perfectly designed in symmetry and delicateness. The creations are too perfect to be random happenings. Rather than a church, it is there were I feel the closeness of God and appreciate his intricate patterns of life.

I enjoy bringing friends there to share this amazing paradise!

Diana and I also climbed the old water tower which is circular and affords views of Seattle, the Space Needle, the mountains, the sound, Lake Washington, Bellevue and Kirkland, and Mount Rainier on a clear day as well as some popular cathedrals. The top of the tower is so unique and reminds me of a carosel in shape. The tower is brick the top is lined with windows 360 degrees.

Spring is definately here which is my favorite season because it is bursting with the sights and smells of new life. We walked near the water reservoir across from the asian museum where we discovered a round pond. Upon closer inspection we spotted 6 Koi and a male and female mallard resting on the side. Along the path I spotted many aromatic shrubs and flowers that I pointed out to Diana. The scents were absolutely hypnotic and if it was not for the constraint of time, I would stay and become lost in them.

It was a good day for an MRI. I felt energetic and full of life!

No comments: