Sunday, January 20, 2008

Happy 33rd Birthday Harley!

Harley with his favorite black forest cake. We only had one candle with the number 3 so the other half of the number 33 is composed of 3 candles. Taken January 19th, 2008

Yesterday was Harley's birthday (my number 1 supporter). Often when one has an illness or conditon he/she gets all the attention but really it is the loved ones who endure a good amount of the grief, work, and worry. Like a secretary to the president, Harley takes care of many of the things behind the scenes to get us through. Not only did he need to learn another language (sign language) to communicate with me, but he has also spent countless hours on the phone coordinating my medical care while I have been unable to, making followup appointments which are difficult for me to plan over a relay system, handling all insurance and billing issues, implementing changes within our home to accommodate the obstacles I encounter and to provide more organization, driving me to appointments here and out of state, and providing the tools and resources I need to adapt and pursue my interests. All at the same time he acts as an emotional shoulder during the ups and downs while taking care of his own needs and career.

It is a huge job that many people would not be up to task to take on. In fact, there are some people who would see it as too much of a load and burden which would be easier to walk away from.

I am extremely lucky. I often think of what life would have been like without him. It is a scary thought. I basically would not be the person I am or where I am today. It would be very hard to do all these things alone and I honestly cannot imagine anyone who could have been more perfectly suited.

So thank you Harley for all your love, encouragement, acceptance, and support. You are very much appreciated and I often thank God for having been so fortunate to have you in my life! I hope you had a wonderful birthday and have many more. You deserve it!

1 comment:

Harley Dufek said...

Thank you for such a nice Birthday! I just want you to know how much you mean to me as well and how much support you give me. You are the best wife in the world! (and the cutest one too)