Friday, October 02, 2009

Training for Surgery





Pictured -
with Paul Goldenberger, my personal trainer at Gold's gym

doing an exercise that Paul created working on focus and my arm and shoulder muscles which become weakened after surgery


One of my sponsors of the NF cause, Gold's gym, was gracious enough to provide me a trainier once a week in preparation of my surgery.

Paul, pictured above, approached me one day as I was working out at the Issaquah gym where my sister lives. He had tried to say something to me and I kindly told him that I cannot hear him because I am deaf. Surprisingly, he immediately started writing to me in the notebook he had with him. I was blown away as that happens VERY RARELY for strangers who have just met me. It even takes a few tries requesting to people who know me and know I am completely deafened.

I had been considering personal training to give me an extra edge with balance and to work on things I cannot do by myself as I would need help and a spotter. Harley actually suggested it to me over a year ago but it took this long to work up the courage to pursue it. After returning from vacation, it occured to me that it would be a good idea to do some pre-surgery training on balance, focus, stability, and core muscles to be strong in preparation for the areas that will be weakened post surgery.

Seeing how well Paul had been able to communicate with me and his ability to seem to understand my situation, I felt he would be the right trainer to work with even if I have to travel a little further to a different town. The bonus of going to the Issaquah gym once a week, is that I can stop by and visit my sister after our session.

Today will be my third session and we do different exercises everytime. I have been learning some fantastic exercises that I can do on my own and then we do techniques where I need someone to spot me due to my imbalance. After today, 2 more session and it is surgery time!

Above I am doing an exercise with a 4 lb medicine ball. Sometimes I use a 6 lb ball for this exercise and it becomes very hard to keep the ball balanced on my hand. Nearing 10 reps, my left hand will often start to shake with tremors like a Parkinson's patient.

For the exerise, I lift the ball up and down for 10 reps trying to keep the ball from falling off the palm of my hand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On the plus side, Paul isn't too hard on the eyes either! LOL. :)