Sunday, May 14, 2006

Weird Things Are Happening

As I told you in my previous post, I had to start taking a medication called Diamox again. If you have been reading my blog for sometime, you will recall that I started taking Diamox in January or February of 2005 (I gotta look that up as I should know if for my records). Anyhow, when I first began the medication I was also taking steroids so I would not have known the particular startup side effects other than fatigue and frequent urination.

I took the medicine for over a year and stopped mid-March. Then around Easter weekend I started to get some migranes and visual disturbances. In any case, I took the medicine on May 6th and 7th and then skipped the 8th in order for my doctor to see if there was any swelling on the morning of the 9th. Indeed there was so I started back up with 500 mg on the late evening of the 9th and ever since then.

So here is how it has been going:

I was really tired and yes I guess I will admit this, I started to piss my pants in my sleep on Wednesday morning. I was dreaming that I was at a restaurant and excused myself to go to the ladies room. When I dreamed I finished it seemed like I did not go. "Okay" I thought. "I will try to go again." This time however it felt all wrong and fortunately I woke up to realize what was happening. Therefore, I got up and went to the real bathroom and changed. That was about 9:30 am.

I went back to bed and awoke at 11:30 am. This time I could not get out of the damn bed. My right leg was numb and I could barely feel it! I had to twist around my foot, bend my knee, and work the leg until I had full feeling in it. Then I could stand up but I had to walk around to really get it working.

Thurday morning I awoke as a dang acne patch! I had a rash (like a heat rash) down the left side of my neck and spreading sparsely on my chest. Since then I have had welts develop all over my face.

Friday night after I took the medicine I looked like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. SERIOUSLY!!! My nose became completely red in color as if it were sunburned.

I don't recall the specific days now (must have been Wednesday and Thursday), I tried to go for a run and I was completely exhausted and weak within minutes. I went for a run in a neighborhood near my house and I think I could only run for 5 minutes where I came upon the hiking trail. My lungs burned like fire and my legs felt like jello. Normally I can run on the easier parts of the trail but I felt all disoriented and my legs were really weak. I feared that with my disoriented vision and loss of leg strength that if I tripped I would not be able to catch myself. I worried that I could become badly hurt in the woods by myself.

Tonight will be sixth night taking the medicine so hopefully my body will become used to it again and some of these side effects will start to lessen. I really do want to do my run next weekend in the Relay so I hope my balance will be better.

Why am I awake right now? Training. lol the Relay for Life event is 22 hours. I will start with a cancer survivor lap at noon, my 3 mile run later in the early evening while it is still daylight, and walking in the evening when it is dark. I am bringing my tent there so that I can take naps.

No comments: