Thursday, September 20, 2007

What Luck! Body Worlds 3 in Portland presented by OHSU

So our quest for peace, prespective, and harmony to getaway from surgery fears or see it in a different light has begun! I would truly recommend this to anyone to do prior to a major medical procedure if there is time and it is feasible. Make the time! I actually began this search in July but I do not think Harley had reached it yet as he became more high strung over the last week.

When we awoke we explored a little around the riverplace area in Portland near Dave and Christie's condo. In the morning paper we noticed that "Body Worlds" was actually on exhibit at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and is actually being presented by OHSU. How incredibly cool! I learned of the technique of plastination to preserve bodies for scientific study, eduction, and understanding years ago on the Discovery Channel. I have longed to see this exhibit since! I could not believe it was actually being shown in Portland at the same time I am here! If I had gotten my surgery on the original later date the exhibit would have already been packed up. LOL So visiting the OMSI to take in the opportunity was a no brainer.

While exploring the local area on foot (a block), we found the wonderful Marina Fish House Floating Restauraeant where we had a MARVELOUS lunch! I had the Washington Steelhead salmon which was simply perfect and melted in my mouth! Afterward, we took in the view of Portland from the restaurant dock and discovered that OMSI (the museum) was directly across the water from us! Thus we headed to OMSI to see the famous Body Worlds exhibit!

Absolutely fascinating!!!!!!! I am so glad I had the opportunity to see this wonder! Being a science buff and needing to read EVERYTHING, I of course took my time absorbing it all in! LOL Harley finished before I did. (I am like that in aquariums too!) ;+)

Some people may not think this would be so pleasant to see or think about before a surgery but I found it totally fulfilling and actually put me more at ease. It was interesting to see the inside of skulls and beautifully and artistically displayed brains while thinking about where the incision will be made and what part of the bone they will need to remove to access the tumor. They had slices (cross sections of brains) too where one could see a tumor, a hemorage from a stroke, and hydrocephalus. For me, such an experience enhances my understanding and definitely increases my appreciation for those who dedicate themselves to the medical profession.

I could go on and on but I will let you check out the link for yourself.

www.bodyworlds.com

After we finished (Or I finished) the exhibit, we headed out of Portland to Pacific City, Oregon where we will spend a few days gaining serenity, rest, and relaxation on the beach of the Pacific coast.

Trigeminal Neuralgia update:

Yes unfortunately it has returned but knock on wood it has not been as severe as last week yet. I felt it coming on at the bodyworlds exhibit. It is scary as I want the rest of the week to go well and I CANNOT and WILL NOT take the Tegretol again. I just can't go through the rest of this week the way I did last weekend. The episode at the museum was mild like a soft knock at the door but frightening if it is in the middle of the night and you don't know who is on the other side.

Later at midnight or 1 pm a full attack but still not as bad as the first. We have begun debating whether or not to increase my steroid dose. I prefer to not if I can hang in there and help it. Steroids can have bad effects as well and at the present dose I am doing well. I will have to take steroids for a couple weeks after the surgery so I do not want to take more if I can help it. I had a bad time with them in 2004 and 2005 which I do not want to revisit. I just hope the surgery allieves this problem (trigeminal neuralgia).

No comments: