Sunday, October 23, 2005

Frustration

I am sitting here buried in piles and mounds of paperwork. I come upon my teaching materials (yes there is lots of paperwork with teaching). I am at a loss on what to do with it all. Harley tells me to throw it out but like a pack rat I cannot bring myself to do so. I do throw out old tests but keep all my readings from graduate school.

To save us money we did not buy books but photocopies of writings from a multitude of books. They are all very good. Anyhow, These articles are stapled but loose. Before all this treatment ordeal and turn of events, I had a master plan to create a computer library catalogue of my articles and file them nice and neatly in order and by topic into large 3 ring binders. I did have them in binders while in school but (chuckle) to save money I would take out the articles every quarter and replace them with the new ones I needed the next quarter. Thus I accumulated several piles of paper which also includes lesson plans, tests, experiments, nature and science poetry, and etc.

To simplify things temporarily, I decided to attach them together with black binder clips which I have always loved. LOL I used to hoard them (especially when I worked as a supervisor for the WSDA). In fact I liked them so much that I finally broke down and bought myself a huge tub of them at Costco before I graduated with other sized paperclips.

Unfortunately my hands don't function as nicely as I remember them. It gets so frustrating. I fidgeted around with a medium size clip for probably about 5 minutes before I finally said "The H__ with it!" I just could not get it opened wide enough. If I pressed it against my leg and used the palm of my hand I could get it open to what it was supposed to be but then it would slip before I could get the darn stack of paper in there. I could not get it wide enough with just my hand. I tried several different methods and it just was not working. Then it dawned on me that what was meant to be a modern convenience has become an inconvenience and was taking much longer than it should.

I don't know if I will get the strength back in my hands. This week my left hand has been weak and even shaky while holding a glass of water at times. I suppose I should start doing some hand and wrist strengthening exercises.

I am very frustrated often......many things.....walking, the eye bouncing, the clumbsyness of my hands, the burning of my eye when I wake up, ramming into everything when I first get out of bed, etc. Sometimes I feel so old......like I skipped several years overnight. I look at pictures of myself doing all these things as if it were 30 or 40 years ago and wonder what happened to that person.

Ok this is getting a little too emotional. On a positive note, my face has seemed to improve yet not a 100% and this week I have learned to drink water from a wide rimmed plastic glass. Prior, I could only drink through a straw on the left side of my mouth. I am still eating on the left side but my taste has improved (unfortunately giving me some sugar cravings......I ate a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked Body and Soul last night!). So looking at the bright side, even though I am slow I can still enjoy eating and don't need to be tube fed.

2 comments:

Steven said...

Heya Becks! You need a little vise to stick those big clips in. Then you could open them up. :) I always try to cram too much into them myself.

I like the Chunky Monkey and Chubby Hubby Ben and Jerry's (Sally says me eating Chubby Hubby is proof of "you are what you eat!)

PS- OOOh! "Type the letters in the image to post comments!" When did we get this? I'll have to go turn that on on my blog. This is what you left the message about for me, yes?

Rebecca said...

Yeah a vise is a good idea!

Yeah my taste for chocolate the suger has returned unfortunately. I have been enjoying a cup of Moosetracks from Safeway everynight. Now it is gone and I will have to withhold myself from buying more.

Yeah I don't know when word verification became an option but I really like it! Yes this is what I was talking about before. So far it has been working (knock on wood).