Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Jackolanterns

Yay! We got some pumpkins! The season just would not seem the same without our friendly old Jacks. I don't know if I have ever gone through a halloween without one. Last year we had our halloween party and I waited too long to buy the pumpkins and the grocery stores were all out. Yet my friend Catie came to the rescue and brought a perfect looking pumpkin to the party. I carved a neat turkey design into it to give my mom over thanksgiving.

Anyhow, these pumpkins are marvelous and were a real bargain at 9 cents a pound! In addition, the market I bought them at gave $5 off with a $25 purchase. Thus I picked up some needed things and the pumpkins (huge by the way 17 and 22 pounds) were basically free! Can't beat that eh?

The tricky part was carrying them up the deck stairs in the dark and in the rain. Remember that with my balance I cannot carry things up and down the stairs without holding onto the railing. Thus I have to carry something one handed or lean on the one side of the rail as I go up and down. (Today I was able to carry a 40 pound and 50 pound bag of dogfood up the stairs using both hands!)

Good thing that my strength in my upper body has increased a little (a while back I could not lift dog food or potting soil). I had to prop the pumpkin in my one arm like a football and grab the railing with my other hand. This was not an easy trick with a slippery sweater so I had to kind of use my hip and arm to prevent the pumpkin from falling out and try to hurry up the stairs.

I am excited to make something cheerful and extraordinary with our orange marvels! I bought one for me and one for Harley.

Oh and by the way, this year my head will not be the pumpkin (my face has fortunately shrank since I stopped the steroids)!

3 comments:

Steven said...

You'll have to post photos! If you don't know how, send them to me at steven.cochran at gmail dot com and I'll put them on the Net for you.

Between Hurricane Wilma and work, I haven't even _started_ building my Halloween props. Me, the supposed Halloween Guy, and everyone has (store-bought) decorations out and I don't. :p

I bet the weather is great up there. After the hurricane blew through south of us, the temp dropped from the 80s the day before to 61 right after the storm! It's been REALLY windy here since the storm, but I'm loving it.

Still playing $1 on the lotto every time so Sally and I can move to Portland, OR. We love the Pacific NW. (although if we win the lotto, I think Sally's gonna want to move to Vancouver instead.) :)

Rebecca said...

Harley's pumpkin is cool. He made an NF2 pumpkin and I will post that one soon. He definitely took more time and patience with his pumpkin whereas I wanted to get mine done quick and took a hammer to it which proved to be a little overkill. LOL

I think some guy in Oregon won the lotto and it was his first time playing. I think another person with NF2 told me about it or my sister did. I cannot remember.

Yeah I prefer the cooler weather over humid and hot conditions. I like to wear layers of clothes. It has been fun walking the dogs in the rain. I saw rainbows the past two days and snow on the mountain peaks. It was a neat feeling. :o)

Rebecca said...

Thanks Angel. From the MRI and the opthamalogist appointment today things are looking good. Stanford and the neuro-opthamalogist here gave me the good ahead to try diving again! Woohoo!