Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas Dinner 2005








My parents came to our house on Christmas evening for dinner as Harley worked during the day shift. We celebrated a seafood Christmas dinner of king crab and a new recipe I cooked: scallops sauted in cognac and chardonnay over linguini. The spirits we shared was a special bottle of white table wine we acquired while visiting the Baywood Cellars winery in Monterey, California after my last treatment at Stanford University Medical Center in July of 2004. (www.baywood-cellars.com)

I never quite realized it until this moment but the title of the wine we bought is called "Symphony". It was while I was in Monterey that I realized my days of hearing had passed. What an irony, eh? I knew at the time the wine was called symphony for the blend of Grenache Gris and Muscat of Alexandria they crossbred together to produce the delightful flavor of a dry wine with a touch of sweetness. However, at the time the shock of deafness clouded any connection the name of the wine made to my life.

We had a wonderful evening. Dinner was marvelous and we completed the night by cozying down and watching the new version of the classic movie "A Christmas Carol" starring Patrick Stewart (Captain Pickard from Star Trek The Next Generation). If you have not seen the film yet I would highly recommend it! I have always been a fan of Patrick Stewart and he provides a fantastic performance. In fact, this newest version of a Christmas Carol is now my favorite.

Hope you all had a nice evening and peaceful holiday!

No comments: