Saturday, July 22, 2006

An addition to the link of the last post "Baffled"

In the last post I included a link which brought you to a page titled "How deaf people hear".

Unlike most deaf people, I and many others with NF2 hear nothing at all. Our world is completely silent except for the occasional tinnitus (ringing in the ears....noise in the head) that visits us.

Therefore, I would like to inform you how I have adapted or how to get my attention.

Waking up:
I would not even wake up if a bomb exploded outside my house (unless I felt the vibration which would have to be rather intense). Therefore I have a special alarm clock called a "bed shaker". LOL No it is not the same as those coin operated beds you see at cheap motels in the movies. A flying saucer shaped device plugs into my special clock. I put the saucer under my pillow and it vibrates the heck out of my skull when it is time to get up!

Phone:
I don't answer it because I cannot distinguish between a call for me over relay or a call for Harley. If it is for Harley and I answer it there is no typing to read on my phone and it is a dead end for me. I DO have a light flasher Harley installed to the ceiling of my computer armour. When the phone rings this light blinks and and off. If the call is for me and someone has called over WA Relay for the Deaf, an operator will type a message for me that I will read on a small screen on my phone. This special phone is mounted next to my computer and if I am at the computer I can call the person back right away.

Door:
It used to be that the dogs alerted me by barking but I can no longer here that. Since we live rurally we do not get many visitors so I do not have a light flasher for the door. I usually know when someone is coming by and I can watch for them. My computer is in the loft overlooking the front door. When Harley comes home, I can feel the vibration of him closing the front door through my feet (If I am in the loft). I don't wear shoes in the house (only barefeet or slippers in the winter). This also works if I drop something bigger than a piece of paper in the house. I can feel the vibration through the floor. Note: While on the boat my stateroom had a door flasher. There was a device or box that had a seperate light for each thing (phone, alarm, door, fire). When the lights would start flashing I would look at the box to determine if someone was at the door, if the phone was ringing, or if there was an emergency.

Getting my attention:
IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO TAP MY SHOULDER GENTLY AND NOT TRY TO YANK THE DANG THING OFF! SOMETIMES I MUST FINISH WHAT I AM DOING AT THE IMMEDIATE MOMENT SO IT DOES NOT LEAVE MY MEMORY. If I am in somebody's way at the store I greatly appreciate a polite tap instead of being rammed in the rump with a shopping cart. Yelling and stomping as loud as you can would be futile since I hear nothing. If possible the best method is to flash the lights on and off as long as it is safe (meaning I am sitting down and not trying to walk down stairs or something). Deaf signers are also used to routinely getting each others attention by waving (small motion like you need something if the person is close by). Big waves are fine if there is a great distance between you and the deaf person.

Babies crying:
The ASL GLOSS "Ain't Got None!" Many people would find deafness in this case a blessing as I am NEVER annoyed by ANYONE'S cyring baby or any other loud disturbing sounds. ;)

No comments: