Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Power to Give

This is rather interesting. Lately, we have been exploring the concept and philosophy of giving. Now we have always given amounts here and there but it has never been as tight of a time as now with medical bills accumulated from all of us and the income flow producing drips from a leaky faucet instead of a steady gush. However, there are some very good causes out there that a few friends are participating in and even setting out to accomplish incredible feats. I fully understand the time committment of training and fundraising, dedication to hang in there and strive for personal goals, and even the anxiety of fundraising for something which afflicts you or your family.

So despite bills needing to be paid, groceries needing to be bought, money stolen, and new shoes I direly needed to buy so I can run this half marathon in a month, this week I contributed to some of our friend's upcoming efforts. It felt great doing so! It is very empowering.

In my last post, I wrote about asking and recieving. But the real magic was in the giving just prior to finding such a great deal on a pair of shoes I really needed. I discovered this beautiful reflection by Maya Angelou that sums it up nicely.

From the book Gifts of Beauty for your Soul:

Give generously, for your gifts will return to you later.
Ecclesiastes11:1 TLB

"I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver......When we cast our bread upon the waters, we can presume that someone downstream whose face we will never know will benefit from our action, as we who are downstream from another will profit from that grantor's gift."

Maya Angelou


Can you believe I just happened upon it in a book this week?

For all of you who have given to my past causes and current, I truly believe good things will come to you. You are a blessing and you will in turn be blessed!

No comments: