Thursday, June 23, 2011

Women of Character


"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved." - Helen Keller

I am pictured here with my friend Shantelle who came down to my surgery in Portland and I posted a photo of her with her son back in May. Shantelle also has NF2. Right now she is experiencing a turbulent time with her medical situation, way more concerning than my dang face.

Over the past year one of her tumors grew to an immense size causing her the side effect of swallowing problems. As a result, she lost 40 lbs in a short period of time sapping her strength for surgery. Therefore, her doctor had her get a feeding tube put in to help her gain the needed weight. Unfortunately the darn thing became infected so she had to go to the emergency room to have a "pic" line put in her arm that will deliver strong antibiotics straight to her bloodsteam. She also had to spend a couple nights at Swedish Hospital in Seattle until the medical team had her on her way to healing.

The picture was taken late yesterday afternoon as she was being happily discharged. It gets pretty boring lying in a hospital bed for such a long time.

Shantelle has a long way to go so please keep her and her 4 children who need her in your prayers for healing, strength, courage, and a promising treatment.

P.S. - I am doing quite well and my physical fitness recovery has been nothing short of miraculous. As a matter of fact, I am going to do the Seattle rock and roll half marathon this Saturday. I will run as far as I can (Hopefully half of it - 6 or 7 miles) and then walk the remainder. My leg is still sore and the pain shifts between the inner thigh, outer quad,the tendon behind the knee attaching my calf to my hamstring on the outer part of the leg, my IT band extending into the glute, and the entire skin of the leg to the bottom of my foot which increases with sensitivity with long durations of running or hiking.

Last week I ran a total of 19 miles and hiked 2100 feet which would rightfully make me sore if I have not been doing that for a month! So this week I am resting. I went for a fast 2 hour walk monday night but all other days it has been under an hour with 1 day off. Hopefully that will do the trick to get me ready to get through the event with tolerable pain.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I've been working on a website about facial paralysis (I was born with it) and have just added a page about NF2, it needs more work but it's a start. I've added a link to one of your blog posts I found on this page http://www.facialnervepalsy.com/nf2-neurofibromatosis-facial-paralysis.php
If you can think of any additional info that should be on that page please can you email me via the website or leave a comment on that page. Thank you!