Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Pudding Fetish

Now it is pudding. I used to only eat tapioca or rice pudding. I despised other flavors or kinds. Yet now I can't get enough of pudding....sugar free and fat free chocolate, white chocolate, vanilla, lemon, and banana.

The chocolate milk tasted good but was making me sick I think. I had a tall glass 3 days in a row and the last day I drank it I got horrible stomach cramps. In addition, I had a bad case of the runs each day. So I was trying to figure out if I had become lactose intolerant. It did not seem to bother me much if I ate things with milk in them, only if I tried to drink the milk. When I had cereal in the past I did not get sick but I did not have too much milk because I have never been a milk drinker. Therefore, I concluded that maybe it was the chocolate syrup I put in the milk. In any case, things seem to be fine if I just make and eat pudding.

By the way, prior to treatment I was a big yogurt eater. I stopped eating yogurt because when I was taking steroids it was too acidic for my mouth. Then while off the steroids it tasted too sweet. Now it just freaks me out because of all the dental problems I have and my fear of exposing my teeth to the high acid content.

Ice cream I don't much care for anymore either (This is from someone who was a HUGE ice cream fan.....my favorite being mackinaw island fudge). It is too cold, bothers my teeth n0w (over the last 3 months) and tastes too sweet. Yet I really like the pudding.

Oh yeah by the way and slightly off topic; I had to break down and buy some bananas and potatoes to start eating again. I was waking up every morning for a couple weeks with charlie horses in my calves (leg cramps). The diamox I have been taking depletes the body of potassium and it is hard to find a variety of food (low in carbs) that has enough potassium content in it.

The whole point of this post is that the body really goes through quite a progression of taste changes after treatment and certain medicines. I am not complaining though. This is probably one of the benefits depending on how you look at it. ;o)

3 comments:

Steven said...

I definately need to eat more bananas. I love banana pudding (raised in the Deep South where it's a staple dessert.) I never knew that yogurt had a high acidic level. I have to get back into doing things outdoors and watching my weight. My loss of balance has led to me staying indoors and in front of the computer too much.

Thanks for the updates, Becks, I enjoy reading them and sharing them with Sally.

Rebecca said...

Hey I developed a lowfat/low sugar desert substitute for banana cream pie that is fantastic!

Use some lowfat honey graham crackers...I don't need anymore than one cracker. Crush it up really good in the bottom of a bowl. Then fill the bowl with a cup or half cup of lowfat-sugar free banana cream pudding. Top with fat free or light whipped cream. Then slice a banana over the top.

It is fabulous! I like eating this better than eating a real piece of banana cream pie. I like the graham crackers better than regular pie crust.

Rebecca said...

That is the frustrating thing for me about having NF2......It really has limited my physical activities. I am having a hard time emotionally with it.

Fortunately I have my dogs and I try to walk them every day if possible about 3 miles or so at a fast pace. My legs seems to be okay as I can pretty much lift the same amount of weight.

However, my upper body has become really weak and the muscles there atrophy fast. We live far from our gym now so I have been lazy about doing upper body workouts at home. At the gym I find that rowing in an excellent activity!

I can't run or walk on the treadmill without holding on to the dang handrails for dear life but I can kind of jog outside. It is kind of hard with the oscillosia.

From what I am reading, muscle atrophy is common with NF2.....probably due to the loss of balance and oscillopsia. So try to keep in shape what you have.

I know how you feel though....I don't want to become a sedintary person.