Friday, September 21, 2007

Peace and Reflection Friday - 3 days pre-op

I can see why writer's frequently come to the shore to open the mind for inspiration, creative thought and positive energy. Today was such a day for me. The warm sun and cool ocean breezes and backdrop of the crashing waves on the shore invited me outside to take in some enlightening reading.

It was a perfect way for me to again put things into perspective, seek meaning, and complete my peaceful meditative state for continuing the journey (my odyssey) which lay ahead.

My reflection and reading this afternoon is important so I would like to share it with you here.
The following is from the book "Meeting God At a Dead End" by Ron Mehl published by Multnohah Books of Sisters, Oregon.

The passage (cited by Paul) found on page 127 is taken from 2 Corinthians 4:15-18

"For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

In the early evening while the sun was still high, Harley and I took a walk down the beach heading south this time. I wanted to revisit Bob Straub state park which we first encountered over 4 years ago and has been the inspiration of the calming ambience I have been working on creating in our bedroom. We were very taken with this stretch of beach upon our first initial discovery and took beautiful scenic pictures which I have framed in our room.

For Harley, achieving this mental release and peaceful state is new. There are many frustrations and stress when a loved one is faced with medical situation. It can be even more difficult and emotionally draining for loved ones than it is for the person with the medical crisis. The goal of the walk was to release all the worries from the mind and take in all the senses and to appreciate them and reach a state of well being. I have been working to acheive this state for many months and even praticed prior over the years. My plan was to walk on top of the sand dunes among the dune grass on a new and undiscovered route to fulfill my delight of exploration. Harley's choice was to walk barefoot along the beach once he reached a state of destressing. We would meet on the beach within a half hour.

It went wonderfully. By the time we met the sun was begining to set and we were able to sit and converse with the backdrop of the powerful crashing waves and the tickle of light leading across the water from us to the sun. On the walk back the sunset became even more glorius! It was perfect, sureal, and like a dream. As it slipped over the horizon, the play the sun's rays colored the gentle clouds overhead pastels of pink, yellow and lavender among a faint blue sky.

I had more nerve attacks to my face today (3 in total) but due to my relaxation and destressing I was able to continue whatever I was doing (conversing, cooking dinner, etc.). The first time was very scary and painful last week but when theycome I try to detach my mind from the pain in my face knowing that it will subside in a matter of time and I will go on.

No comments: